1. The Working Group on the Universal Periodic Review, established in accordance with Human Rights Council resolution 5/1, held its ninth session from 1 to 12 November 2010. The review of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya was held at the 13 meeting, on 9 November 2010. The delegation of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya was headed by the Vice- Minister for European Affairs at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Abdulati I. Alobidi. At its 17th meeting, held on 12 November 2010, the Working Group adopted the report on the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya.
2. On 21 June 2010, the Human Rights Council selected the following group of rapporteurs (troika) to facilitate the review of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya: Argentina, Norway and Senegal.
3. In accordance with paragraph 15 of the annex to resolution 5/1, the following documents were issued for the review of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya:
(a) A national report submitted/written presentation made in accordance with paragraph 15 (a) (A/HRC/WG.6/9/ LBY /1);
(b) A compilation prepared by the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in accordance with paragraph 15 (b) (A/HRC/WG.6/9/LBY/2);
(c) A summary prepared by OHCHR in accordance with paragraph 15 (c) (A/HRC/WG.6/9/LBY/3).
4. A list of questions prepared in advance by the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Norway, Slovenia, Sweden and the Netherlands was transmitted to the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya through the troika. Those questions are available on the extranet of the universal periodic review.
I. Summary of the proceedings of the review process
5. During the interactive dialogue, statements were made by 46 delegations. A number of delegations commended the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya for the preparation and presentation of its national report, noting the broad consultation process with stakeholders in the preparation phase. Several delegations also noted with appreciation the country’s commitment to upholding human rights on the ground. Additional statements, which could not be delivered during the interactive dialogue owing to time constraints, will be posted on the extranet of the universal periodic review when available.
1 Recommendations made during the dialogue are found in section II of the present report.
Read complete Report Herehttp://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrcouncil/docs/16session/A-HRC-16-15.pdf